Monday, September 24, 2012

Football and God


So, as many people know me and my family are HUGE Florida State fans.  I absolutely love that team and love football and watching them play.  Going to the games is such a huge rush and so much energy how could you NOT love it?!?!?!?
Well, as I was watching the INTENSE football game between Clemson and FSU on Saturday, when it was all said and done we won the game!  I was so excited. :)  I sat there and thought (as I saw them show an ariel view of the stadium and the FSU logo) how awesome that team is... how much pride I had for being a fan, and how much I loved that team!  I began to think.... “ya know, how come I don’t always swell with pride about being a christian and about Christ?”  I began to assess the situation.  Why was I not always feeling the same way (if not more) about Christ and the church as I feel about Florida Sate?
I’m ashamed to even admit this at all.  What kind of child of the Lord am I?  What does that say about my relationship with Him?
Thoroughly just diving into my thoughts, I was up a lot that night...couldn’t sleep.  I began to ponder the reasons why I felt this way.
I realized that I don’t swell with pride a lot about being a Christian because I feel like so many things out there and people give Christianity a bad rep.  I know so many people who have told me “you see that person right there, thats why I am not a christian.  They are no different than me, if not more worse than I am.  So why should I even bother going to church if they are no different?”  Sadly, I’m sure some people could say the same about me.  That cut me to my core.  My life has drastically not been the same lately, and my relationship with God and my heart just have been like all over the place.  I find myself watching tv rather than picking up my Bible.  I would rather sleep in than go to church.  My language sadly has gotten further from being lady like and I just sit there and wonder “what happened to me?!”..

WIth all this being said....I feel like the Church has changed so much.  I feel like more people have gotten fake, and just use church on Sunday mornings to make themselves feel better.  I don’t like “Bible bangers” and I’m ashamed when I hear people handing out tracks saying “You are going to hell!!!!”...who are YOU to determine that?!?!  I don’t like it when people act weird and use Jesus as a crutch...or just “as they need Him”.  I roll my eyes when people act like wearing jeans to Church is blasphemy..or not always listening to “christian” music.. I mean, what is that anyway?  I used to listen to it, and it was SOOO much better when I was younger.  I feel like too many times christian artists these days try to sound more rock, more secular just to reach out to the public...and I feel like it just turns out really cheesy.  I don’t get the message because I feel they are trying too hard.  I would much rather listen to the Hillsongs, Steven Curtis Chapman, and the old school stuff.  So much better.  I don’t like it when people “name it, claim it”... You can pray and trust God, but you CAN NOT tell anyone that “it is done! I prayed about it and God did it”.  You can’t tell God when things will be, when you will be healed.  You can claim your faith in Jesus and pray for His will.  Otherwise, you look ridiculous.  I remember as a kid, someone in church stood up and said “I claim that this man is healed in Jesus name.  Now we can all celebrate because he is healed!” sadly, that man passed away like the next day... to a non-christian, what does that say to them? “Wow, your God really listened” or “man you look stupid”. You cannot tell God what to do, and it seems like you are when you make statements like that.  Claim your FAITH in God and put your prayers out there to Him and claim you TRUST in Him to do what His will is, whatever that may be.

You may think I sound pretty awful, or I am being harsh.  Or “what kind of preachers kind are you?!”  But, I think people have gotten to loose with their Christianity and their “spiritualism” and what not.  All these reasons I have stated above make me NOT swell with pride about Christians and the church.
Its sort of embarrassing to tell you the truth.
I am guilty of it, too.  I am not excluding myself from this category in ANY way.  I should conduct myself better.... I should watch my thoughts and my mouth a whole lot more.  I know God has to be embarrassed and ashamed every time I do not seek Him and make christians look bad by my actions.  I am embarrassed of myself at times, no lie.
I am so guilty of a whole lot that I do not deserve forgiveness or any second chances with God, but I am so thankful that he gives them out.

I need to be working on my life, and change what I need to so that I CAN be proud and swell with pride over my Jesus.  Over the guy who should be the lead Coach in my life.  I’m on His team.  I need his leadership... He is calling my fouls and trying to lead me to Victory.  Yes, I fumble the ball a lot with my life when I make bad choices... yes, I let Satan win sometimes and score touch downs when I sin and give in to society.  Yes, I am not always a team player in praying for people and encouraging them as I should.  I need to take a time out and re evaluate life and what really matters in order to win the game.  The game of Life.  I am so glad that ultimately GOD wins, we win... but, just because we know thats what will happen in the end, doesn’t mean we get to sit by and live life and play badly because Jesus has won.  Don’t just exist.. be active in Him.
We need to not be show offy, and cocky.... don’t try to be the best or be better than everyone else.  Just be yourself.  Live by God, love by God, play by God.

Thank you Jesus for forgiveness!  I am so thankful that HE IS MY COACH!  So, thankful that He isn’t only my finish line, but my beginning and my middle.  He is cheering me on every second of every day... He is ready and waiting with open arms to love us, guide us, and be with us for all eternity.  And to all that I say: Score! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder! I have been on the sidelines myself. I will put you in my prayers and ask that you put me in yours.

    ReplyDelete