Thursday, June 28, 2012

Vineyards and canals...


Imagine sitting on a train.... the landscapes of France you are leaving behind and headed for Italy... sit back, and close your eyes... you hear the sound of the train tracks as you are chugging along down and out through tunnels and over bridges... its incredibly hot due to the amount of people and the big windows that surround you... its almost like being rocked to sleep in a way (minus being hot).... all the sounds and noises.
Thats how its been almost everytime I have been on a train... however, going into Italy was much more beautiful than any other arrival (aside from Ireland).  Arriving into the beautiful scenes of the ocean and the village that lives on sea.  We had a very nice older gentleman from Australia help us with our luggage and sort of guide us where we needed to be since he has been here a lot....We found our way to our hotel... much to our dismay, it was actually a lot farther than we knew.
But, upon arriving to our little island across from Murano and Venice, it seemed quite tranquil and peaceful.  However, the walk to the hotel was anything but that.  I was quite a cranky pants due to the heat, no sleep, lack of food, and yet again carrying my eye sore of luggage.
We got into our hotel and its almost like being in the movie “Under the Tuscan Sun”...  Its quite hot here, and zero air conditioning.  But, its so very peaceful with all the ocean around you and the vineyards as far as you can see..
The lady that owns and runs this hotel is Julie.. She is quite spunky and has been here for almost 30years.  We enjoyed an awesome dinner of pasta, bruchetta, and wine...
Finally, a decent nights rest!!!!  Even though it was reallly hot!!!!
Up early to head into the city for some shopping...We had a nice little bike ride up to the water taxi.  Just being on the bike, the wind at my face and blowing my hair around... I felt sort of like a kid again.  It was fun to be back on a bike and just carefree for the moment.
I immediately started thinking of praise song and random songs I used to see as a kid in VBS... it was quite fun to just belt them out.  I’m sure the people watering their gardens and dusting out their rugs out the windows thought I was quite strange... No matter.. :)
Arriving into Venice city today felt more comfortable since we sort of had our bearings. 
Walking around all day and seeing the life here... its very different.  Everyone talks to everyone.  Ciao! Was thrown around a ton and everyone was very welcoming.  The little shops that they have all over the city our quaint and some very touristy.
The pizza we had for lunch was the BIGGEST slice of pizza I had EVER seen in my whole life.  And I was able to try my first gelato.  Of course, I had to try more than one!  I had lemon, Mango, and Strawberry.  All were very good!!!!!!!
After walking around the city for what seemed an eternity... we got lost, of course.  Canals everywhere... old buildings everywhere.  Its very strange to see steps up to peoples windows and doors and it leads into the ocean... People can drive boats around here better than anyone!
After finding our way back... I quite enjoyed yet another beautiful bike ride taking in the flowers, vineyards, and simplicity of life on this little Venetian island.
I will be sort of sad to leave here... but, all these journeys lead us somewhere, and I am quite excited to get on to the next one!  I am most excited about Scotland and Ireland again I must say.  However, I’m sure there is adventure around the corner every where we will go.
I can just picture my dad belting out the song by Steven Curtis Chapman “Saddle up your horses... we got a trail to blaze!!” love it...
So, as I am finishing up this blog.. sitting on my bed, with the windows open out to my view of sunflowers and vineyards.. I will sign off for the evening and go enjoy my last legit italian dinner and some vino!  Until next time.. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment